When we went to CrimeCon, Victoria and I attended two sessions about this case and it is one that sticks with you once you know something about it. As we approach the second anniversary of these senseless murders, I thought I would highlight it on my blog. Please share this…because this case screams to be solved.
On February 13th 2017, the day before Valentine’s Day, Abigail “Abby” Williams and Liberty “Libby” German were dropped off by Libby’s sister at a local park in Delphi Indiana. They were let off near an abandoned railway bridge that was part of a relatively new park, the Delphi Historic Trail. It was 1:00pm in the afternoon, in broad daylight. The girls were 13 and 14 respectively and the park was considered safe. Delphi is a small community after all, with a population of under 3,000.
As I recall from my notes, school had been cancelled unexpectedly that day, so there was no reason for their killer to expect them to be in that park at that time.
By 5:30pm in the evening the girls were reported as missing. A search by locals found their remains the next day, some 50 feet from Deer Creek, about a half mile from the railroad bridge. Authorities have not revealed the exact cause of death of the two girls to the public.
The real shock about this case is that Libby’s phone contained an image of their suspected killer and a recording of his voice, saying “Down the hill.” He is suspected to be between 5 foot 6 and 10 inches tall, weighing 180-220 pounds with reddish brown hair. There is little doubt that Libby managed to capture her killer both audio and video. Despite this, there have been some false leads and suspects, but their killer remains at large.
What struck me, as an author of cold cases, is as follows:
- This is a small community. Clearly this is an outsider, making this a crime of opportunity on his part. Is he a passing truck driver who stopped in the community and came across the girls, or someone who was passing through for some other reason? To me, it makes sense to check truck stop videos nearby or weigh stations for their records. I passed on that suggestion to one of the family members at Crimecon, though I’m sure the authorities would have already checked these out.
- The girls were not supposed to be out of school that day. Did he know that school was out that day or is it sad happenstance that they were in the park to begin with?
- With two victims – the question must be asked…did he act alone? It is possible to get and maintain control of two victims, but it is more difficult. Libby clearly got images and audio of their killer, why didn’t they flee? Did he get control of one of them to compel the other to stay there?
- The authorities are keeping quiet how these victims were killed – which is prudent and frustrating at the same time. Clearly there is something in the method of the murder which somehow factors into this.
- The killer’s clothing and hat are clues because chances are, this isn’t the first time he wore them. These appear as “comfort clothing.” While the video is blurry, the police composite is pretty clear. Someone knows this man, or knows someone matching his description that was out of town (in Delphi) at the time of the murders. Do you know someone who wore that kind of hat and jacket who stopped after July of 2017, when the images were released?
The police site has the audio of his voice as well. Take a listen to it. Does it sound like someone you know?
You may hold the key to solving this cold case. The families deserve justice and the victims have given us the best clues as to who this killer is. Please contact the Indiana State Police if you think you might know something.