There is a strange sense of relief for an author when a new book is released. This book is no different. There will be pundits and critics, there always are. I’m also fairly sure that the Washington Metropolitan Police and the Prince George’s County Police are not going to be elated. We are releasing a lot of new information on this string of serial murders. I anticipate them complaining about the book (if they say anything at all.) We tried to work with them, to speak with investigators, to confirm sources, to let them know what material we had…but were stonewalled or outright ignored. The Washington MPD and mayor’s office spent more resources telling us why they refused to work with us than it would have taken them to actually cooperate. They have good reasons to cover things up, which we will present in detail in the book. There may be cries that this muddies their ability to investigate and prosecute the cases.
To which, I cry, “Bullshit.”
The Freeway Phantom cases have been open since 1971. Trust me when I say our book does not impede the speedy investigation of these cases. For almost 600 days the Freeway Phantom struck at the nation’s capital, stalking, kidnapping, raping, and murdering young girls aged between 10 and 18 years old. He taunted authorities working the cases. As mysteriously as he started, the Phantom stopped.
Or did he?
There’s some serious questions about other cases that occurred in the same neighborhoods that may be linked to the Freeway Phantom. It is one of the things we pry open in Tantamount. Some other items you will find made public for the first time:
- A detailed exploration of the Green Vega Gang, some of whose members confessed to these crimes.
- Dissecting key suspects never made public before, including an in-depth investigation of one of the prime suspects, Robert Askins.
- Details about the crimes that have never been made public before, including a bizarre pattern of how the killer bathed his victims.
- A listing of other possible related victims – including those that might have gotten away from the killer.
- The confidential FBI profile of the killer.
- New analysis by renowned FBI expert on linguistic forensics, Jim Fitzgerald, of Unabomber fame, of the note left by the killer on one of his victims.
We look forward to you joining us on this journey as we delve into the Freeway Phantom crimes. Who knows, maybe one of you holds the secret to identifying this mysterious killer.