So this is the start of our first season of Tantamount – a true crime podcast about our most recent book on the Washington DC Freeway Phantom serial killer.
Here’s some of the links to get to it:
Coming soon to iTune Podcasts
Victoria, my daughter and co-author, and I have been wanting to get into podcasting for a while. It seemed a perfect fit with the new book coming out. I didn’t want to do a short one-shot podcast, but one that allowed us to go beyond the book and really dive into this serial killing spree.
When we write a book, we focus on the facts. Our goal is to present information, not shove our opinions on the reader. The podcast lets us talk about what we think and feel, things that wouldn’t play well in a book.
There were some parameters for this effort we felt were important:
- The podcast had to stand on its own. You didn’t have to buy or read the book to follow it.
- We wanted it to be the first of a series. So season one is on the Freeway Phantom. We have plans for future seasons that will dive into other cases…some we’ve written about, some that we just are intrigued with.
- It had to be as professional as we could produce on our own.
- We wouldn’t launch it unless we had at least two episodes in the queue. Episode #2 will pop sometime in the next few days.
- We wanted some links to this blog where we could post some things we didn’t put in the book directly – some source material for those that wanted to explore more about the episode.
- This first episode is about why we undertook this book, investing two years of our lives into the case. I would love to tell you there is some magical formula we use to determine if we are digging into a crime, but in reality, a lot of it is gut-check-level stuff.
We also start with the first victim – Carol Spinks. I’ve included copies of her police report here. It gives you an idea of what our starting point was for this – which wasn’t much.
I am not an audio editor or expert in podcasting. I spent more time editing than anything else. It is a great learning curve for both Victoria and me. Please be gentle with your comments.
For my BattleTech fans, yes, I want to do something in that space and have started scripting out my first episode – on Snord’s Irregulars. So far the working titles include: Old Fart’s BattleTech, Ammo Dump, and All Systems Not Nominal.
So, please subscribe and share our podcast and if you want more information, get out book!